Monday, January 16, 2006

Recipe Test: Mac & Cheese

Decided to test a recipe this weekend for the football playoffs. (Btw, Go SeaHawks!!!) I whipped together this Mac and Cheese recipe in my Rival Crock-Pot, let it cook for 5.5 hours and then we enjoyed. I think I've determined that the high setting on my crock-pot is a bit hotter than it should be. As the dish was really done about 4.5 hours into the cooking. But your mileage may vary with that.

As for the taste, my fellow football fans weren’t complaining, but I found it just a little lacking. I think next time I’m going to try this modification of the recipe and I’ll let you know how it works. This is similar to the recipe I usually bake in the oven.

Slow-cooked Macaroni and Cheese.

8 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese – divided (I like sharp cheddar)
1 cup shredded sharp white cheese mix (gruyere, edam, havarti, romano, or other sharp white mixture.)
1 cup white onion – sliced and lightly caramelized.
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper (black will do fine if you don’t have white pepper)

Slice onions into two-inch strips. In frying pan, sauté in butter until onions are translucent with deep brown edges. Beat eggs and liquid then add salt, pepper, and 2 cups of cheddar cheese and one cup of the white cheese mix. Spray slow cooker with nonstick vegetable spray. Add macaroni, onions, and mixture to crock pot. Stir well then sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese on top. Cover and cook on the high setting for 4 to 5 hours or until the mixture is firm and golden around the edges. Do not remove the cover or stir until the macaroni has finished cooking. Serves 5-6.

Serve with Texas Toast and Applesauce for an all yellow comfort food meal.